Paget March On in FA Vase

Paget entered into the biggest game of their season so far on the back of a disappointing performance against Uttoxeter, their response was fantastic.

Wolves had the better of the early stages to be fair and created a few chances but nothing really significant to test Dylan Mandaracas in goal. Paget got into the game 15 minutes in when Max Turner went on a cracking run and beat 3 players before cutting back intended for Niall Clarke but the defender just beat him to it. Paget’s pressure was eventually rewarded after this though when in the 20th minute, Euan Kemp won the ball back on the edge of the Wolves box and finished superbly across the goalkeeper. 1-0. 

The goal gave paget confidence and they started to move the ball quickly with real impetus and the second goal came 8 minutes after the first, Max Turner with a lovely lofted through ball over the top for Niall Clarke who got in behind and lobbed the goalie, superb finish. 2-0. Paget continued to dominate right up to half time, 16 year old Louie Newbold at the heart of things in the number 10 role with Ryan Butler and Ollie Gethin combining well in midfield. 

Half time: Paget 2 Wolves 0

Wolves came out strong in the second half and started to get more of the ball looking to hit the channels and started to have a bit of joy creating a few corners, but Paget held firm, Captain Dean Crowley was fantastic throughout alongside Justin Burns. Wolves’ pressure was eventually rewarded though as they scored from a corner to make it 2-1. 
We then had an incident where the Wolves number 6 threw the ball at Cam Day while he was down waiting for treatment, a bit of a melee ensued and the referee did well to regain control of proceedings, Wolves number 6 was sent off along with 2 members of their coaching staff. 
The red card killed all of Wolves’ momentum in the game and Paget were well on top up to the end, Myles Lowe has 2 opportunities well saved by the goalkeeper and the third goal came when substitute Rhys Fearon bought it down well and played it inside to Jamie Smith who finished superbly from 20 yards giving the keeper no chance. The lads were delighted to go through and thoroughly deserved it, we face Chelmsley Town in the next round. 

MOTM: Dean Crowley 

Full Time: Paget 3 Wolves 1

Leave a Reply