Paget Back on Track

Heath Hayes 0 v Paget Rangers 2

Following a blank Saturday last weekend, Paget returned to league action at the Coppice Colliery Ground, on a fairly dismal day, with driving rain prevailing for virtually the entire game. After some soul searching amongst the squad after their very disappointing last outing at Brignorth, Steve Walker’s men produced one of their most accomplished performances of the season.

From the very first whistle Paget showed an intensity to their play which showed they meant business. The forward line of Mardenborough, Tesfom and Omoridion refused to give the Heath Hayes defence a minute’s rest and this set the tone for the rest of team. Ryan Butler in midfield was in typically industrious form and the defence was expertly martialled by Dom Ellington and Adil Mohammed.

Although the game was tight Paget always looked capable of scoring and it came as little surprise to the travelling Paget faithful when they took the lead. A fine ball from Connor Johnstone, set the marauding David Anani free down the right wing and the Paget full back produced a super low cross in behind the Heath Hayes defence for the alert Rivel Mardenborough to dart across his man and fire expertly, from a very tight angle, low into the corner of the net. It really was a move and finish that deserved to break the deadlock and will no doubt have delighted Manager Walker.

With half time beckoning Heath Hayes produced their best moment of the half and what turned out to be the entire match, when a fine shot from outside the box was clawed to safety via the post by Ben Ntiri in the Paget goal.

Half Time 0-1

If there was any suggestion that Paget might try and sit on their lead this was quickly dispelled as the second half began. First a fine run by Jamie Hyland, running from his own half and beating three men before shooting just wide. This was followed by an even better chance for Rivel Mardenborough, great work from Alex Tesfom released Mardenborough, who rounded the keeper but from an acute angle and after turning back inside a sliding defender, could only see his shot across goal rebound out from the post. 

By this stage Paget were in complete control and it seemed only a matter of time before they extended their lead. The goal the Bears had promised duly arrived when a fine ball to the back post was met by the athletic Louie Newbold, who headed into the roof of the net with aplomb. It was little more than Paget deserved for such a dominant second half display.

As Heath Hayes tired and had a man sent to the sin bin for dissent, Paget could and should have scored more, Ryan Butler going close with a great run and shot across the face of goal.

The final whistle sounded with Paget in complete control. Not only the result but the manner of the performance was a great reaction to a couple of disappointing performances away from home. Paget now return to Coles Lane to face Atherstone Town, one of the leagues high flyers, but will do so in confident mood and ready to cause an upset in front of what is expected to be the biggest crowd of the season. 

Full time 0-2