Paget Back on Track

After a string of four consecutive 2-1 defeats on the road, Paget entertained high flying Droitwich Spa on Tuesday evening at Coles Lane, looking to get their league campaign back on track.

The game got off to a frantic start with both sides playing at a high tempo and searching for an early break through. As the first half wore on though it was Paget who began to create the better chances. A fine move involving Ryan Butler, who was playing in a more advanced role, freed centre forward Leslie Omorodion, who produced a fine run before squaring the ball to Harry Jackson. It looked like Paget’s top scorer was destined to open the scoring only for the ball to fly agonisingly the wrong side of the post.

Another great run from the influential Butler saw the Paget man produce a great cross into the returning Tim Oyanda, who was unable to convert from inside the six yard box.

With the half coming to an end Paget were awarded a free kick just outside the box following a hand ball. Up stepped Harry Jackson to fire a tremendous shot past the wall and into the bottom corner leaving the Droitwich keeper clutching at thin air.

Half Time 1-0

Having scored on the stroke of half time Paget started the second half in determined mood, looking to build on their lead. Once again it was that man Butler flying down the right and squaring the ball to Omorodion who seemed destined to score but managed to shoot over, when it seemed easier to score.

Paget were playing with a great intensity now displaying terrific levels of fitness, constantly breaking up play and attacking with pace. Jamie Smith playing infront of the back four once again started to control the flow of the game. But yet again it was Butler who was the architect of the second Paget goal, a sublime ball sent Omorodion clean through on goal, although his shot was well saved by the Droitwich keeper the rebound was expertly volleyed into the net from outside the box by Harry Jackson.

With their tails up, as they have so often at home this season, Paget attacked in waves. But it was a moment of genius from Jamie Smith that unlocked the Droitwich defence for the third goal, picking up the ball outside the box Smith sent a delightful ball over the defence to the on rushing Delcio Neto, on as a substitute, for the young Paget man to coolly finish.

Droitwich showed they were not going to lie down though and within a minute had sliced through the Paget back line, leaving substitute Keatley Charles to smash the ball into the top corner with Paget goalkeeper Doyle helpless.

With time running out Droitwich looked as though they may set up a grandstand finish with Charles once again cutting through the Paget back line before finishing comfortably.

Having created so many opportunities it would have been a travesty had Paget not gone on to win the game and in the final minutes another substitute, Fahme Ibrahim, sealed the points for Paget finishing with aplomb from outside the box following a fine run.

To the surprise of many in the ground Paget goalkeeper Doyle received a second yellow card following the goal celebrations and saw red! With only seconds remaining though Paget were not to be denied and the 3 points were theirs!

Final Score 4-2